The best driveway paver sealer is a fluid substance used to protect concrete surfaces from damages, corrosion, and stains. Thanks to some special formulas, the products are great for tackling cracks, peels and preventing your surfaces from turning yellowish. They are also algae and mold-resistant and hold up well against the sun. Put simply; sealers are handy for protecting your driveway paver and extending usability.
- 1 Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Driveway Paver Sealer
- 2 Top 13 Driveway Paver Sealers
- 2.1 Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer
- 2.2 Miracle Sealants 511QT6 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealers
- 2.3 Rain Guard Water Sealers CR-0357 Micro-Seal Ready to USE Sealer
- 2.4 KILZ L390201 Interior/Exterior Concrete, Brick, and Tile Liquid Masonry Sealer
- 2.5 DRY-TREAT Stain-Proof Premium Impregnating Sealer
- 2.6 Concrete Sealer 1 Gallon (Covers 1500 Sq Ft) – Acrylic Emulsion Formula
- 2.7 Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-1103 Gloss Sealer
- 2.8 Eco Advance EACON16CON Waterproofer
- 2.9 StoneTech BulletProof Sealer
- 2.10 Thompsons Water Seal 24111 1.2-Gallon Clear Low VOC Water Sealer
- 2.11 Glaze ‘N Seal Clear”Wet Look” WB Sealer Gallon
- 2.12 SEK Surebond SB-1300 G Natural Look Matte Finish JSS Sealer
- 2.13 Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-4004
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 4 Conclusion
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Driveway Paver Sealer
Types of Paver Sealers
- Solvent-based sealers: solvent-based paver sealers consist of more than 40% active materials that create a continuous and protective film to protect your paver from UV light and stains. It also increases their durability and reduces signs of cracking and pitting. More importantly. They are ideal for outdoor use and perform better than other types in terms of color enhancement. They also give a wet, dark look to the surface and are easy to apply, reapply, and repost. On the downside, they have a foul odor that often requires you to wear protective wear during use and apply in a well-ventilated area.
- Water-based paver sealers: this type of sealers are best for highlighting and restoring your paver stone color. Hence, they won’t change your paver’s color by either giving it a wet or glossy finish. Besides sealing, they are also handy for their waterproofing qualities. Unlike their solvent-based counterparts, they don’t contain or release harmful odor during use. Hence, they are a more environmentally sustainable choice. They are also cheaper than most sealers and are safer to work with. Plus, they are durable and are not prone to leaving roller marks. You should be careful, though, as they can’t survive in low temperatures. They also don’t give the darkening effects that some buyers appreciate.
- Acrylics paver sealer: Acrylic sealers, like water-based sealers, have excellent waterproofing qualities. The sealer forms a thin coating that prevents water absorption. However, there is no chemical reaction between the sealer and the surface; hence, it wears faster than the other types. On the upside, they are great for areas where water pools since they are waterproof. Acrylic sealers don’t cost much and have a quick application process. You can apply it immediately after building your floors, and they are handy against moisture, chemical spills, salt, and the sun. It lets nothing through the cracks and takes a shorter period to dry. Plus, they help with color enhancement. However, they are thin and not durable since they wear faster. As a result, you often need to recapture the sealer at intervals.
- Breathable paver sealers: Breathable sealers do more than coating; they protect the paver without affecting its appearance. The product interacts with the stones by penetrating deep into the surface to prevent moisture and debris from seeping into the concrete while letting vapor out. They provide an invisible barrier that won’t change a concrete’s original appearance; hence, it can be used on raw concrete surfaces. They also protect against bad weather, high temperatures, moisture, and chemicals. However, they don’t have a glossy finish and must not be exposed to water before drying.
- Wet and glossy look paver sealers: The last sealer type gives the paver stones a wet and glossy look and adds to the stones’ strength and durability. The solvent reacts with the stone’s surface to enhance its looks. The products that give a glossy finish have more acrylic content.
The Finish and Non-slip
The finish does not affect the performance as it is cosmetic; however, you should pay significant attention to it. Choose the finish based on personal taste from any of the sealer types we have listed above. However, we recommend choosing a finish that won’t reflect light markings but remain vibrant and colorful to the eyes. Apart from acting as an enhancer, the paver can either increase or decrease how slippery the surface feels. Slippery surfaces often cause more accidents and should be avoided in place of non-slippery once. Hence, look for sealers that won’t make the surface slippery.
Penetration and Drying Time
Products that penetrate deeper will reach cracks at deeper levels for an inside out repair. Hence, the product should penetrate deep and not sit on the surface. It should also seal the substrates within the surface for effectiveness. If you want to coat and recoat your paver within a short period, you should buy a sealer with a fast drying time.
Top 13 Driveway Paver Sealers
Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer
The Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer does not only seals but provides a pleasant gloss finish to give your driveway a shiny finish. It fortifies the surface against chemicals, water, wears, and UV rays for lasting performance. It also protects the natural shine of the surface and won’t darken the surface color after drying. Made in the USA, the product is easy to apply with a brush or roller. You can also spray it on surfaces; rest assured that the water-based VOC compliant sealer won’t harm you.
- Dries clear
- Excellent consistency
- It goes on a foam roller easily.
- The sealer can leave your driveway slippery if applied in the sun.
Miracle Sealants 511QT6 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealers
The Miracle Sealants 511QT6 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealers are ideal for use inside and outside your home on different surfaces, including the driveway. The oil and water-resistant sealer create an invisible barrier that protects your driveway from damage. A single purchase covers up to 1,000 square feet per quart, and the finished job offers UV protection. It dries clear and resists weather elements without yellowing. Thanks to its special formulation, the sealer is safe to use around food preparation areas and other parts of the home.
- The sealer has a strong smell.
Rain Guard Water Sealers CR-0357 Micro-Seal Ready to USE Sealer
Protect your masonry surfaces with the Rain Guard Water Sealers CR-0357 Micro-Seal Ready to USE Sealer. The five-gallon sealer is handy for protecting, restoring, and extending the life of masonry; either on a vertical or horizontal surface. Thanks to its high-performance hydrophobic coating, the water-based sealer forms a protective barrier and won’t alter your surface appearance. It also won’t leave a surface film since it is made with a non-yellowing technology and no-sheen formula. Plus, you can use it as a primer before painting to protect from stains and prevent moisture transfer in the substrate. It penetrates concrete to provide excellent resistance to salt spray, ice-removal agents, water, and wind-driven rain.
- Easy to cleanup
- Available in concentrate and ready-to-use formula.
- Long-lasting mechanical bond
- The instructions are a little lacking.
KILZ L390201 Interior/Exterior Concrete, Brick, and Tile Liquid Masonry Sealer
Treat your brick, concrete, driveway, and other masonry types to the KILZ L390201 Interior/Exterior Liquid Masonry Sealer. The product protects and beautifies driveway surfaces while preserving and maintaining the details and colors without changing color or yellowing. The high-solid acrylic-based formula enhances different stones with a high-gloss and wet-look finish. This feature is handy since it lets your driveway shine in the bright afternoon sun. Do note, though, that you can’t use it in high moisture areas. The product is considerably easy to apply with a roller, brush, pump sprayer, and a high-quality pad applicator. Plus, it dries within one hours, and you can recoat it within four hours.
- High-gloss finish
- Different application methods
- Fast dry time
- It needs several coats but does the job.
DRY-TREAT Stain-Proof Premium Impregnating Sealer
As the name implies, the DRY-TREAT Stain-Proof Premium Impregnating Sealer creates a permanent and impregnatable bond to protect your driveway from stains. Not just this, but it also protects it from water, oil-based stains, freeze-thaw damage, picture framing, and salt damage. The sealer helps the driveway retain its breathability, color and makes it easier to clean. Thanks to a unique super-penetrating bonding technology, the sealer provides long-lasting protection that makes the treated surface easy to dry even after heavy rain. Its super breathable formula lets water vapor escape freely while preventing the buildup of harmful moisture.
- Reinforced protection
- Permanent bonding technology
- Some buyers don’t like its solvent-based formula.
Concrete Sealer 1 Gallon (Covers 1500 Sq Ft) – Acrylic Emulsion Formula
The Concrete Sealer with Acrylic Emulsion Formula is designed to seal, finish, and condition the most non-resilient hard surfaces. It is designed to maintain and protect masonry surfaces, whether outdoor or indoors. It is made from high-quality siloxane ingredients that create an acrylic emulsion formula for protecting surfaces and keep them new and clean. The product covers up to 1500 square foot, and won’t alter the surface look or add to the gloss. However, you can apply up to three coats if you want a high-gloss surface. Since it is made in the USA, it puts a note on the quality of the ingredients used and the quality.
- Keeps moisture out
- Easy to apply
- No messy cleanup
- Water will enter if you don’t coat it uniformly.
Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-1103 Gloss Sealer
The Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-1103 Gloss Sealer is the second product by Rain Guard to make our list of the best driveway paver sealer. Not that we are surprised as the brand is recognized as one of the best makers of sealers in the market. As expected, the product does an excellent job of fortifying your paver against water, UV, and harsh outdoor conditions. Since it is water-based, it has little to fume; however, you should apply it where there is sufficient ventilation. The sealer works on stained, painted, and unpainted surfaces for flexible application.
- Water-based formula
- Non-yellowing solvent
- Dries with a glossy finish
- It takes time to cure
Eco Advance EACON16CON Waterproofer
The Eco Advance EACON16CON Waterproofer is an ideal product for sealing your paver and protecting it from water damages. The chemical-strength formula provides lasting protection, unlike most products due to its vapor transmission abilities that lets the treated surface breathe. By implication, it prevents the entrapment of moistures to avoid rapid degradation of substrates. It contains low VOC; hence, it is safe for use around plants, pets, and humans. It is also made and packaged in the USA.
- Safe around pets, plants, and people.
- Two hours of dry time
- White but dries clear
- The different coat appearances are hard to differentiate.
StoneTech BulletProof Sealer
The StoneTech BulletProof Sealer doesn’t look much; however, it does enough to protect your surfaces. It provides coverage of up to 100 square feet and ensures maximum protection for masonry and natural stones. Thanks to its advanced formula, it bonds with stones to improve their wear resistance. It also contains an advanced penetrating micro bond that protects stones and floors from water and oil-based stains. Plus, it makes cleaning easy and protects the natural look of your paver.
- Up to five years of protection
- Water-based formula
- Makes cleaning easy
- There are reports that it leaves a slight film you can rub out by hand.
Thompsons Water Seal 24111 1.2-Gallon Clear Low VOC Water Sealer
The name does justice to describe almost all the functions of this impressive sealer. The Thompsons Water Seal 24111 1.2-Gallon Clear Low VOC Water Sealer is ideal for exterior use and is best for preventing water damages to your driveway paver. It works on concrete, brick. Decks, masonry, and many other surface types for flexible and convenient application. It is also a VOC complaint; hence, it contains little odor that can harm you during use. However, we recommend you protect yourself during use for safety. Apart from this, the product lets water bead nicely on your floor to prevent damages caused by water.
- Stops deterioration
- Brush or spray-on application
- Not slippery
- The sealer is thin, runny, and can be challenging to get onto the brush.
Glaze ‘N Seal Clear”Wet Look” WB Sealer Gallon
The Glaze ‘N Seal Clear”Wet Look” WB Sealer Gallon is designed to give your driveway paver a deepened wet-look appearance and protect it at the same time. The water-based sealer is durable, and a clear acrylic finish protects your masonry surface, whether indoors or outdoors. It is UV-resistant; hence, it protects your surfaces from degradation by the sun and is non-flammable since it is water-based. The product goes on like water to enhance the stone without smelling. After use, you can conveniently clean up the surface with soap and water. However, it doesn’t bead when water hits it but enhances the surface.
- No caustic odor
- Easy cleanup
- It takes a lot of products to cover
SEK Surebond SB-1300 G Natural Look Matte Finish JSS Sealer
Another handy product for sealing your driveway paver is the SEK Surebond SB-1300 G Natural Look Matte Finish JSS Sealer. The product is colorless but is compatible with the concrete paver, plain concrete, masonry, manufacturer or natural stone, etc. It comes in a 1.0 gallon, enough to see you through small projects. However, you may need to buy more for larger projects. The sealer has a full cure time of 24 hours and can be used outside and inside. It is breathable; therefore, it won’t trap efflorescence. The breathability feature also improves surface durability, ease of maintenance, and reduces freeze-thaw damage.
- Sealing with joint stabilization
- Milky-white with a water-like consistency.
- It sometimes creates a sheen and not a wet-look
Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-4004
The SP-4004 water sealers by Rain Guard cover up to 200 square feet and is ideal for use on exterior and interior concrete. From a brand that has been around for more than 51 years, the product is engineered to be non-toxic but to ensure a lasting mechanical bond and hydrophobic barrier that won’t be affected by the weather. Not just this, but it won’t be affected by UV light, freezing temperatures, salt, dirt, and many other damaging elements. An advanced UV stabilizer ensures lasting and non-yellowing performance, and it does not leave a surface film.
- Meets federal and state environmental guidelines.
- Advanced UV stabilizers
- Dries to an invisible natural finish
- It clogged the sprayer for some buyers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How much sealer do I need for my driveway paver?
You need to calculate the surface area to determine how much sealer is needed. Measure the length and width and multiply the length with the width to find the square feet. After ascertaining the square feet value, check the product cover to know if it will cover the surface. We recommend two or three times the required measurement to get the best result.
- When should I apply my sealer?
Apply your sealer on a clear, sunny, and dry day for fast drying and bonding. Don’t apply in the evening, especially when there is a higher chance of rainfall.
- How do I apply a paver sealer?
Depending on the product, use a roller, brush, or applicator to apply the paver sealer.
- How long does a paver sealer last?
If applied correctly, a water-based sealer should last up to three years and reapplied every three-five years. An acrylic sealer should last up to two years and should be reapplied every two-three years. Generally, sealers last up to three-five years.
Read our review of the best driveway paver sealer carefully before choosing a product for your surface. We hope you find this post helpful.