Doors can be noisome, especially if you are always opening and closing them. Although door hinges are never at the top of anyone’s priority, you will give more thoughts to them when the hinges begin to come loose from the wall or squeak. If you have noticed this, then perhaps it is time to buy the best interior door hinges. On the surface, fixing and installing a door hinge seem simple. However, practical application is often easier said than done.
To take guesswork out of your installation, we have come up with a review of the best interior door hinges. Here, you will find a list of the best hinges for indoor use and helpful tips on buying them.
See more best interior door knobs here
- 1 Top 15 Interior Door Hinges
- 1.1 AmazonBasics Rounded 3.5 Inch x 3.5 Inch Door Hinges, 18 Pack, Matte Black
- 1.2 Design House 181412 3-Pack Hinge 3.5″, Satin Nickel
- 1.3 AmazonBasics Self-Closing Door Hinge, 3.5 Inch x 3.5 Inch, 1 Piece, Satin Nickel
- 1.4 18 Pack of Door Hinges, Antique Brass – 3.5 x 3.5 Inch Interior Hinges
- 1.5 (Pack of 40) Hager 3 1/2 Inch Oil Rubbed Bronze Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
- 1.6 (Pack of 18) Kesler 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges (5/8″ Radius Corners)
- 1.7 (Pack of 30) Tempo Satin Nickel 3.5″ x 3.5″ Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners Brushed Nickel
- 1.8 (Pack of 12) Hager 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
- 1.9 Berlin Modisch 4″ x 4″ Mortise Spring Hinge with 5/8″ Radius Corners
- 1.10 Global Door Controls 3.5 in. x 3.5 in. Satin Nickel
- 1.11 (Pack of 30) W2Ent 3.5″ x 3.5″ Satin Nickel Door Hinges
- 1.12 12 Pack – Cosmas Flat Black Door Hinge 3.5″ Inch x 3.5″ Inch with 1/4″ Inch Radius Corners
- 1.13 Cauldham (12 Pack) Heavy-Duty 3-1/2″ Interior Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
- 1.14 Hosom 18 Pack Door Hinges Brushed Nickel, 3.5″ x 3.5″ with 5/8″ Radius Corners Interior Hinges
- 1.15 Alzassbg AL9201SN Brushed Satin Nickel Door Hinges
- 2 Factors to Consider Before Buying Hinges
- 3 Conclusion
Top 15 Interior Door Hinges
AmazonBasics Rounded 3.5 Inch x 3.5 Inch Door Hinges, 18 Pack, Matte Black
The Rounded 3.5 Inch x 3.5 Inch Door Hinges by AmazonBasics has a bright matte black finish that will compliment your door to match the design and style. More than this, however, it is made of durable steel that won’t fall apart quickly. The hinges are hand-finished, and as a result, ensures a uniform style on your hardware. Plus, it is an 18-pack product; hence, you can do more projects with a single purchase. The product package also contains all the necessary hardware and installation instructions.
- Durable steel construction
- Mounting hardware included
- Safe for kids
- The screws are a little short and thin
Design House 181412 3-Pack Hinge 3.5″, Satin Nickel
Design House 181412 3-Pack Hinge is designed for use on residential doors. Thanks to its durable steel construction, the product will see you through multiple and lengthy uses. The hinges don’t come with removable pins; however, the product package includes screws for convenient installation. Each of the hinges features a staggered hole pattern of six holes where you can drive screws in easily and quickly. For the best result, you should use it on wooden doors. The hinges have a rounded design; hence, they are best for use on rounded edges. However, they will work on square edges as well.
- Sturdy hinges
- No special cutting needed
- Heavy with a consistent finish
- They squeak, but you can lubricate them
AmazonBasics Self-Closing Door Hinge, 3.5 Inch x 3.5 Inch, 1 Piece, Satin Nickel
Another product by AmazonBasics, the Self-Closing Door Hinge, is a one-piece self-closing door hinge. The product is a self-closing mechanism that is considerably easy to install and use. Like its counterpart, it has a durable steel finish that promises lasting and reliable performance. Not just this, the product comes with the essential hardware that you will need for installation. Although it is relatively easy to install, there is a detailed installation instruction in the box to help you get the hang of installation. Apart from this, the product works on all doors, but it is easier to adjust if it is used in the middle. Nonetheless, you can use it in either the bottom or top position.
- Adjustable tension
- Thicker than common hinges
- Simple and easy-to-navigate instructions
- The setting pin is easy small and easy to lose
18 Pack of Door Hinges, Antique Brass – 3.5 x 3.5 Inch Interior Hinges
Another excellent hinge that will fit your door without obnoxiously standing out is the 18 Pack of Door Hinges. Designed with an antique brass finish, the product has a strong and elegant design that will compliment your door. The product is tough and is built to last. As a result, each hinge has a decent weight, and they are wrapped to prevent scratches during transport. Apart from this, they are easy to install thanks to complementary flathead screws. Hence, you can use a driver to drill the screws conveniently. There are 18 hinges in the package, and each has six holes on it where you can drill the screws.
- Elegant brass finish
- The pins come out with the hinges
- Quick installation without removing the doors
- Some buyers didn’t receive all the 18 hinges
(Pack of 40) Hager 3 1/2 Inch Oil Rubbed Bronze Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
If one thing is sure, it is that you can do so much more with the 40 packs of the Hager 3 1/2 Inch Oil Rubbed Bronze Door Hinges. The product is a full mortise door hinge with a smooth operating plain bearing. As a result, it works better on light and medium-weight doors. Thanks to its steel construction, the hinges won’t fall apart quickly from use. Its durable oil-rubbed bronze finish also gives it a deep and rich finish. The pins on the hinges are removable with a hammer and screwdriver, and they have a functional weight.
- Elegant finish
- Sturdy appearance and performance
- Easy to install
- The box is considerably heavy
(Pack of 18) Kesler 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges (5/8″ Radius Corners)
The Kesler 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges with round corners supports smooth operation for medium and light doors. The screws are ¾-inches long; hence, promise a strong and reliable hold. Plus, the product is designed with rust-proof protection; hence, it won’t rust quickly. The pin is also removable if you want to, to make your installation less difficult. The product’s packaging is another impressive feature as each is folded in half and lined with the screws. Hence, the only scratch that can ever occur is one side of the hinge against the other. The hinge also has the standard thickness for doors; however, the product box is considerably heavy to lift alone if you have weak wrists.
- Shiny satin nickel hinges
- Standard thickness
- There are reports of minor scratches
(Pack of 30) Tempo Satin Nickel 3.5″ x 3.5″ Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners Brushed Nickel
The Tempo Satin Nickel 3.5″ x 3.5″ Door Hinges, as the name implies, has a bright satin nickel finish that will match your space without standing out. As a result, it is handy for use on residential doors and other indoor applications. The hinges feature plain bearing for smooth operations and come with matching screws. Hence, there won’t be color inconsistency when you use it on your door. You can remove the pins conveniently, and you can face-mount the hinges. Another feature that most buyers appreciated is that there is no visible branding on the hinges. More than this, however, the product looks and fits perfectly.
- Won’t rust
- No need to pre-drill holes
- Easy to replace
- The screws are a tad short
(Pack of 12) Hager 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
We have reviewed a product from Hager; however, we haven’t done so on the pack of twelve. The Hager 3 1/2 Inch Satin Nickel Door Hinges has 5/8″ Radius Corners to conveniently match your door. Although round, the edges are not too sharp; hence, they are safe for around kids. The product has a smooth operating plain bearing that goes on well with light and medium-weight doors. The screws also match the hinge; therefore, they won’t stand out due to discrepancies. The hinge pins are also removable. Do note, though, that it might require a bit of work to do so.
- Clean, shiny, and smooth appearance
- Sturdy construction
- Heavy and solid
- Not rust-proof
Berlin Modisch 4″ x 4″ Mortise Spring Hinge with 5/8″ Radius Corners
The Berlin Modisch 4″ x 4″ Mortise Spring Hinge with 5/8″ Radius Corners, unlike your average hinge, is best paired with automatic self-closing doors. It is a four-knuckle hinge that features an adjustable spring tension. Hence, you can decrease or increase its tension with an included adjusting tool. The product package includes adjusting pin tools and metal screws. Each pair also features a durable rubber door wedge stopper. The satin nickel finish gives it an edge over many since it appears bright and classy.
- Easy to install
- Holds well
- Sturdy construction
- There is not much instruction for the pin
Global Door Controls 3.5 in. x 3.5 in. Satin Nickel
Another product to make our list of the best interior door hinges is the Global Door Controls 3.5 in. x 3.5 in. Satin Nickel steel hinge. The product is a full mortise residential hinge for light and medium-weight doors. It is packed with flat head wood screws and features a plain bearing radius. Since it is a set of two, there is enough for a door. Apart from this, you can pair it with any door. It also blends well with most doors, and you won’t require much maintenance. Since it is made of steel, the hinges won’t rust quickly.
- Solid material
- Two variety of finishes
- Some buyers had a tough time aligning the plates
(Pack of 30) W2Ent 3.5″ x 3.5″ Satin Nickel Door Hinges
The W2Ent 3.5″ x 3.5″ Satin Nickel Door Hinges is another pack of 30 interior door hinges with genuine quality. The product is sturdy and durable for reliable usage and performance. Not just this, the package is such that it is delivered without a scratch. The reason is that each hinge is wrapped separately without damage or scratch. The hinge comes with matching screws, and the holes line well for convenient assembly. The pins are also removable with a hammer and nail since they are tight.
- Removable pins
- Long screws
- Excellent fit and finish
- The pin is a little hard to get out
12 Pack – Cosmas Flat Black Door Hinge 3.5″ Inch x 3.5″ Inch with 1/4″ Inch Radius Corners
The 12 Pack – Cosmas Flat Black Door Hinge has an impressive flat black finish and is lined with eight holes for securing it to your door. The product package contains screws whose color matches the hinges. Hence, you don’t need to incur the extra cost of buying extra screws. The pins also separate with a bit of diligence on your path. More importantly, the package contains 12 individually wrapped hinges. If you want, you can buy separate screws as the ones that are paired with the product may not be ideal for heavier doors. Nonetheless, it is a handy hinge for a fast door connection.
- Individually packaged
- Fits and holes line
- Screws may not be best for heavier doors
Cauldham (12 Pack) Heavy-Duty 3-1/2″ Interior Door Hinges with 5/8″ Radius Corners
Twelve packs of the Cauldham Heavy-Duty 3-1/2″ Interior Door hinges mean that you can take on more projects at once. The product supports smooth and quiet door usage with its consistent and tight-tolerance joints and pins. As a result, there are fewer squeaks when you operate your doors. It also has a solid and premium-weight of most top-quality steel hinges. As a result, it can hold wood, fiberglass, and metals conveniently. A superior hand-crafted finish also gives it a classy appearance.
- Superior finish
- Heavy-duty construction
- Smooth and quiet performance
- Some buyers received incomplete packages
Hosom 18 Pack Door Hinges Brushed Nickel, 3.5″ x 3.5″ with 5/8″ Radius Corners Interior Hinges
Another product that you should look to buy is the Hosom 18 Pack Door Hinges. The product is an excellent fit for many homes and is an ideal alternative for places where you don’t want to pre-drill holes. Made of high-quality steel, the product has a brushed nickel finish and is rust-proof. The hinges can handle up to 100lb doors, and the pins are easy to remove.
- Perfectly-sized for homes
- Quality screws
- Clean look with no branding
- Some orders came short of a few items
Alzassbg AL9201SN Brushed Satin Nickel Door Hinges
We wrap up our door hinges list for indoor use with the Alzassbg AL9201SN Brushed Satin Nickel Door Hinges. The 18-pack product comes with mounting screws and removable pins for flexible installation. It is a smooth-operating plain bearing hinge that won’t scratch when it falls. Plus, you will be surprised at how easy it is to install and fit it into the door frames.
- High-quality design
- Clean and easy to install
- Great color
- There are reports of rust by some buyers
Factors to Consider Before Buying Hinges
The Types of Door Hinges
There are different types of door hinges. Let us consider some of the four most popular types:
- Ball-bearing hinges: They are a form of mortise hinge designed to sink into a cutout door frame. As a result, they are ideal for heavy doors. Their bearings are lubricated to make the closing and opening of doors smoother and can withstand rugged use.
- Plain bearing hinges: Hinges with plain bearings have a simple design that features a barrel with multiple pieces. The pieces are held by a pin, which can be removed to make installation easier.
- Spring hinges: Spring hinges, as the name, have built-in spring inside the barrel. The spring closes automatically when you close the door; hence, they form self-closing hinges. They are best used in areas that lead outside to prevent intrusion. Not just this, the springs work in either door direction. However, they are best paired on lightweight doors.
- Knuckle hinges: Knuckle hinges have a small bearing ball that connects the strip attached to the frame and the door. Although they are mostly used for decorative purposes, they work for light and heavy doors.
How It Will Be Installed
Hinges can be installed in four ways:
- Full mortise: The door hinge has a leaf that is installed on the frame and the door. A spot is carved in the wood where the leaf will fit, and each leaf is sunk into the wood via the spot.
- Half-mortise: One part of the leaf is installed into the wood while the other leaf is installed on the frame. The one installed on the door side is done via the spot carved for it while the one installed on the frame is connected to the frame surface.
- Full surface: occurs when the leaf on the frame and the one on the door are connected to the wood’s surface
- Half surface: The leaf attached to the frame is installed in a spot carved to fit it, and the leaf attached to the door is installed on the surface. This is the opposite of the half-mortise installation.
Surface installation is easier since mortise involves cutting into the wood. However, cutting into the wood promises a more secure and durable hold. Hence, mortise is better for doors that you use frequently. You can pair surface installation with lighter doors.
Stainless steel, bronze, brass, and iron and the commonest materials used for door hinges. Stainless hinges are strong, rust-resistant, and affordable. On the other hand, brass, bronze, and iron are stronger and more durable. However, they are more expensive. Since the materials are available in different finishes, you can choose the looks and colors based on preference.
The best interior door hinges help you make fast and impressive adjustments to your doors. Instead of taking chances with the purchase, you can settle for any of the best hinges reviewed above. Door hinges are simple to install, easy to replace, and sure promise reliable performance.